Is the Hobie Wave or Teddy right for me?
Message #620 by: 
Posted on:  Wednesday 17th of September 2003 at 1:32 pm
Hi,
Newbie to the forum.
I was in Cyprus this summer when my kids experienced sailing for the first time on a Hobie Wave and loved it. I have windsurfed for many years and can handle a Laser so I'm not a complete novice.
I am looking at the possibility of buying a boat for the whole family to use (up to 2 adults and 2 kids 10 and 14). At the same time I need something that I can grow into (performance-wise) but feel that something like a Dart 16 or Hobie 16 will be intimidating for the kids and a monohull such as the RS Feva XL too small for "family" cruising..

The Hobie importer mentioned the French-built Teddy that includes a jib and trapeze for similar momey to a "plain" Wave. Any opinions would be most welcome as well as your recommended clubs around London and teh Home Counties where I can "park" the boat.

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Desperate of Sydenham
Alexis

Hobie Wave, Teddy or Dragoon
Message #621 by: 
Posted on:  Thursday 18th of September 2003 at 9:07 am
I suggest you take a look at the Dragoon - You could try the Dragoon charter where you get to hire a boat complete with training for three? months. That way you can try before you buy and you get full support from the experts. See the contacts page for the e-mail address of Alan Glover who looks after the Dragoon Charter.

the truth
Message #624 by:  the corrector
Posted on:  Friday 19th of September 2003 at 12:26 pm
The webmaster is trying to press on you a boat suitable
for young teenagers, that would not support two adults,
let alone all four of you!
oh dear oh dear oh dear

good boat for the kids though!
get yourself a sixteeen

Dragoon
Message #625 by: 
Posted on:  Friday 19th of September 2003 at 7:57 pm
Actually the Webmaster was trying to be helpfull...

Dart
Message #634 by:  Rob
Posted on:  Monday 29th of September 2003 at 9:23 pm
Buy a dart 16 less performance than a hobie 16 and more than a dragoon but will easliy take four people and being made out of plastic almost impossible to break!!!

dart 16
Message #647 by:  breakfast
Posted on:  Wednesday 8th of October 2003 at 12:11 pm
The re-sale value of a dart 16 is likely to hold up too!

Yoyu want a hobie 15 club
Message #773 by: 
Posted on:  Monday 9th of February 2004 at 8:00 pm
huge bouyence and great fun and good racer! sail a tiger which is very fuk but bit to big for you at the moment but my friend has just got a pacific good family boat he sailed a laser before he got this he has had the pacific for one seanson and is thinking of up greading to a tiger so take my advice!

Goto Message #
View in format suitable for printing Back to the forum index page

(c) 2002 British Hobie Cat Class Association
Comments? - click to contact the webmaster