Tuning a Hobie Pacific
Message #1119 by:  Neil
Posted on:  Wednesday 5th of January 2005 at 8:59 am
I understand the basic principles of sailing but in order to improve my racing performance I am trying to find more information on tuning. I am trying to understand how mast rotation, downhaul, belly etc etc all interact under different conditions to effect performance. My ability to point upwind for example is poor and I am unable to achieve 50 degrees which I believe I should. Can anyone tell me where I can get advice on setting up the boat to achieve the best from it under different conditions.

Racing - A Hobie Pacific
Message #1120 by:  Johnno
Posted on:  Friday 7th of January 2005 at 11:33 pm
You are joking !

Reply to Johnno
Message #1121 by:  Neil
Posted on:  Tuesday 11th of January 2005 at 10:57 am
Why would I be joking about trying to sail better ???
I came 4th out of 11 at my club on New Years Day and by analysing the log from my GPS have identified where I lost time. The main problem was not being able to point close enough to the wind. With some helpful advice (obviously not from you) and tweeking I managed a better angle/speed last weekend but there is still room for improvement.

Pacific
Message #1123 by: 
Posted on:  Wednesday 12th of January 2005 at 9:00 am
Neil

Are you comparing your pointing against other cats or monohulls?

Jon

Reply to Jon W
Message #1124 by:  Neil
Posted on:  Wednesday 12th of January 2005 at 9:44 am
I am comparing my pointing ability to both. I would expect to be 5 degrees lower than a monohull and I am more like 15. I have less experience with cats but seem to be much slower when sailing close to the wind. All other points I am fine and for example I can normally hold my own against a F18 class cat on a broad reach no problem. Do you think getting the bow's in deeper would help as I dont have dagger boards ?

F18
Message #1125 by:  Shamed
Posted on:  Thursday 13th of January 2005 at 5:09 pm
not a good F 18 then.
The pacific is a very watered down Tiger F18.
If you are matching it, you are godlike, or they are
slothlike.
You will not point

Pacific tips
Message #1127 by:  Ben
Posted on:  Sunday 23rd of January 2005 at 9:50 pm
Top tips for pointing would be to maximise use of the bows by moving weight forward but not so much that the waves are hitting the beam and slowing the boat. Make sure that the mast is upright enough to get the leech of the mainsail tight along the centreline when just twin wiring.but not quite at block to block. Upgrading to the tiger style thinner boom also helps rake the rig back further. The pacific doesnt point high so best speed upwind is found by moving the jib traveller cars out slightly (2-3inches) and going for pace.you will be nowhere near monos as the skegs are nowhere near as efficient as daggerboards.Hope that helps a bit.Ben

Goto Message #
View in format suitable for printing Back to the forum index page

(c) 2002 British Hobie Cat Class Association
Comments? - click to contact the webmaster